7 Signs That You Need To Call A Professional For Electrical Repair | Conway, SC

7 Signs That You Need To Call A Professional For Electrical Repair | Conway, SC

Photo By WIROJE PATHI at Shutterstock

The electrical system in your home, is one of the most complex systems. If the system isn’t functioning properly, you may not have power. Also, a malfunctioning electrical system can cause dangerous conditions in the home.

Many homeowners today are making home improvement and home repairs a DIY project in hopes of saving money. While this is fine for some jobs, electrical repairs should only be handled by a licensed electrician. Trying to make a repair yourself can cause you to be electrocuted. It can also cause an electrical fire in your home.

The best way to be sure that your electrical system is functioning properly is to be able to recognize the signs that you need electrical repair and have it performed by a licensed professional.

#1 Tripping Circuits Frequently

The electrical box in your home, is its brain. If you are trying to run too many appliances on one circuit, it will trip. This will prevent a massive power surge that can destroy the appliances. This also prevents electrical sparks due to the overload, which can cause an electrical fire.

If you notice that you are blowing fuses frequently and the circuit is overloaded, you should schedule an electrical repair appointment. There could be an issue with the wiring in the electrical box that needs to be repaired before any damage can occur.

#2 Flickering Lights

If your lights flicker often, it probably isn’t a ghost. Flickering lights are often a sign of a power surge due to demands on the electrical system that it cannot handle. If you turn on an appliance and the lights flicker, you should schedule an electrical repair appointment. Over time, power surges like these can take a toll on your appliance and the electrical system. When you call for repairs, the electrician will inspect your system to determine the best course of action. In many cases, upgrading the wiring or electrical box will solve the problem.

#3 Switch Plates and Outlets That Are Warm To the Touch

The outlets and switch plates in your Conway, SC home, should never be warm when you touch them. If any of them are, you should schedule an electrical repair immediately. The heat is likely being caused by a short in the wires behind the wall, which, if left untreated, can cause an electrical fire. This is an issue that should be taken seriously, and you should make the call right away.

#4 Shocking Light Switches

If you rub your feet across the carpet, it isn’t uncommon to get a static electricity shock. If you don’t have carpeting and you aren’t wearing socks, but you are still getting shocked every time you touch the outlet, you should schedule an appointment for repairs. The problem could be due to a short in the wire attached to the switch, which can cause an electrical fire if ignored. The problem could also be that residual electricity is being stored in the switch or the wire insulation is damaged. It would take the knowledge and experience of a licensed electrician to figure out what is causing the problem and then make the necessary repairs.

#5 Sparks Coming From Appliances or Outlets

If you touch an appliance or outlet and get a little shock, it isn’t that uncommon. However, if you see a spark, you should call for electrical repair immediately. Sparks are a sign of residual electricity being stored in the outlet or appliance, which is a serious fire hazard.

The first time you notice a spark, you should stop using the appliance or outlet until an electrician can get to your home, to inspect the electrical system. When the electrician is able to determine the source of the problem, they can make the necessary repairs, preventing a disastrous electrical fire.

#6 Rust or Moisture Around the Electrical Outlets

Everyone knows that water and electricity don’t mix. If you notice moisture or rust around the outlets, there is a water leak close by, which can put you and your family at risk of electrocution. In this case, the first thing you should do is cut the power off to the room with the moisture problem. Next, call for an electrical repair. Not only will the electrician need to figure out where the water is coming from, but they also need to repair any damage that the water caused to the electrical system. This is a very serious problem that should not be ignored.

#7 Buzzing Behind the Walls

If you hear a buzzing sound behind the walls of your home, it probably isn’t a beehive behind the wall. The buzzing sound is likely due to an issue with your electrical system. A short in a wire can cause a buzzing sound, and it is also a fire hazard. As soon as you hear the buzzing, you should call for an electrical repair. This is a serious issue that needs to be repaired immediately.

If you are experiencing any issues with the electrical system in your Conway, SC home, contact Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach. The owner, Tony Zack, has been in the electrical system since 2004. In 2010, he opened the doors to Mister Sparky. Since then, we have gained an excellent reputation in the area.

At Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach, we hire only certified electricians. They are all required to take continuing education courses to ensure they are up-to-date on the latest electrical technology. They are also tested regularly to be sure that their skills and craftsmanship are always up to par. Each of our potential employees must pass a drug test and background checks before they are hired. All of this should give you peace of mind that you are working with the best in the business.

To schedule an appointment for electrical repair or any other electrical service, visit us at Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach online or give us a call today.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.