Have you ever wondered about the most common electrical services requested by homeowners in Myrtle Beach, SC? Is it always necessary to call a professional electrician to perform electrical services in your Myrtle Beach, SC home? Or can you fix certain things on your own? Nowadays, it is fairly easy to find a wide range of tutorial videos designed to teach homeowners how to repair everything from a droopy plant to a leaking water heater. But while getting that droopy plant healthy again is not something that would put your safety and health at risk, doing your own electrical services is definitely something you should never attempt to do without any formal training. Sure, we get it, that video really makes it look simple. But, think about it this way, those two guys in the video showing you how to rewire your home’s electrical system, are probably well-trained electricians, and you are most definitely not. So, read on to find out about some of the most common electrical services requested by homeowners, and how to know when you need to call for help.
More Than You Would Think
The list of electrical services normally required by homeowners is probably longer than you think. It is easy to believe that an electrician should only be called for seemingly urgent problems, such as a sparking outlet, or a total loss of power, but nothing is farther from the truth. Here are a few of the most common electrical services requested by homeowners like you:
- Rewiring certain portions of your home’s electrical system – In many cases, homeowners can find that their existing electrical system is too worn or degraded to continue servicing their appliances in the expected way. In this case, they may require electrical services such as a total or partial rewiring of their home’s system. This is one job only a licensed electrician or electrical services company can perform because it requires ample knowledge, not only of the job itself, but of the local regulations, and codes.
- The installation, upgrade, or replacement of your home’s electrical panel – Your home’s electrical panel is the literal center of operations for your entire electrical system. Without it, the electrical power coming in from the power lines outside would be useless. Because of the enormous amounts of stress this electrical panel is subjected to throughout the day, it can become worn, requiring an upgrade, replacement, or repair. Additionally, when you are building your home, a reputable electrical services company will be in charge of installing it with your entire electrical system.
- The installation or repair of various items – This service includes outlets, ceiling fans, fixtures, exhaust fans, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and lighting fixtures.
- The performance of safety inspections – It is recommended you schedule annual electrical safety inspections of your home every year, in order to detect any potential issues that could lead to larger problems at a later date. A licensed electrician has the training and experience to carry them out in the most efficient and effective way possible.
- Any type of maintenance and repairs to your home’s electrical system – Anything that requires to be connected to your home’s electrical system, can be inspected and repaired by a licensed electrician as part of your annual service program. Additionally, when parts of your electrical system start acting up, it is important to bring in a professional for an accurate diagnosis and an efficient repair.
What Else Does an Electrician Do?
Aside from the services mentioned above, there are a number of other things an electrician can do. If you are noticing any of these issues in your home, do yourself a favor, and save the tutorial for later and call a reputable electrician right away.
- Your lights dim or flicker for no apparent reason – Dimming or flickering lights can be a sign of an overloaded electrical system. In many cases, the problem can be severe enough that it will lead to an electrical fire and the loss of property if left to fester, especially when it comes accompanied by a buzzing sound.
- One or more light switches are not working – When one or more of your home’s light switches stop working or have never worked at all, you could be facing a severe problem that can initiate an electrical fire. If your light switches are not working or acting abnormally, you should call a licensed electrician for professional services right away.
- Your circuit breaker trips for no apparent reason – When a circuit breaker trips, it can be a sign of an overloaded electrical system, a short circuit, or an arc, among others. All of these issues can become serious problems when left unattended, in many cases leading to the loss of your property due to fire. Call an electrician for help as soon as possible to avoid any more serious issues.
- Anything that could be a sign of trouble – No matter how small the issue may seem, even if it’s only an excessively high power bill, having a reputable electrical professional take a look at your home’s electrical system will result in your family being safe from electrical fires and other types of affectations to their health and well-being. In the end, the money you invest in a professional service will be much less than what you would spend if you ignore the problem and it becomes worse. Nobody wants to lose their property, and electrical problems are not something to take lightly. So, before things get worse, call the professional to help you get the situation repaired as soon as possible.
When your Myrtle Beach, SC home’s electrical system starts doing things it shouldn’t, it is time to call Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach for help. With many years of experience in the business, you can be sure that the electrician visiting your home is knowledgeable, well-trained, and prepared to provide the best customer service you can expect. So, if your outlets are sparking, your lights are flickering, or you have been left sitting in the dark, don’t hesitate to pick up your phone and call Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach today!
See our previous blog post here!