Electrical Hazard Triggers That Homeowners Need An Electrician To Fix | Myrtle Beach, SC

Electrical Hazard Triggers That Homeowners Need An Electrician To Fix | Myrtle Beach, SC

Today, electricity is part of our lives. We use it to power computers and home appliances such as air conditioning or heating systems, cookers, and audio-visual equipment.

As long as our electrical devices function perfectly, we hardly stop to think of the power behind them.

Poor electrical installations from an inexperienced electrician and faulty electrical equipment can lead to a high power discharge triggering an electrical fire and causing loss of lives and property.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, home fires resulting from electrical failures in the United States between 2015 and 2019 accounted for 15 percent of civilian deaths.

The unintentional power surge is what homeowners should be wary of as it can be disastrous. In the articles below, we take a look into a few causes of arc faults which, if ignored, can cost you thousands of dollars, let alone your precious life.

Overloaded Outlets

Plugging speakers, TVs, computers, phones, and everything in one outlet is a common mistake made by most homeowners. Technically, each power outlet has a maximum number of amperes it can handle.

Too many electrical gadgets scrabbling for power from a single plug exceeds the recommended amps and heats the outlet can bear, which can cause electrocution and fire outbreaks.

The best thing to do is move some of the devices to a different source. If the plug still emits heat, you may have to call a trained electrical expert to discern the cause, fix it, and align the electrical loads of other outlets.

Exposed Wires

If the insulator that covers the electrical wires is not well maintained, it wears out with time, exposing the wires. This is dangerous as exposed electrical wires are fatal.

Our bodies are good conductors of heat. Thus, if it comes into contact with a naked wire, the electric current can travel through it, causing an electric shock, electrocution, or even death.

Temperature variations resulting from cooling and freezing at different times of the year may, with time, weaken the insulation materials due to irregular expansion and contraction. This may lead to power leakage that can cause an arc fault if unchecked.

Also, insulation can erode if scratched by furniture, pinched by doors, or sharp objects. As a homeowner in Myrtle Beach, SC, you can engage a qualified electrician to conduct regular property check-ups to steer clear of unprecedented fires caused by worn-out insulation.

Faulty Electrical Equipment

In cases where an electrical gadget or power outlet heats up once you plugin, either of the two has a problem. If the outlet is warmer than the room temperature, the device may be faulty.

Some electrical tools spark as your plugin, while others don’t charge even after plugging in power. You may seek the assistance of an electrician to unravel the mystery before the worst happens.

Old Appliances

Typically speaking, old and worn-out electrical outlets may pose an increased threat of an electrical hitch. Cracked insulation or frayed wires and broken sockets and switches can cause electrical fires if there is a sudden increase in voltage.

Even though your old equipment may seem in good shape, it would be wise to have it regularly inspected by a qualified electrician to avoid the frustrations of dealing with unforeseen costs.

Water and Electricity

Water properties such as salt make it a good conductor of electricity, so electrical wires in bathrooms and kitchens should be far from the water source. If you notice electrical wires dangling near a water point, you should contact an electrician immediately to fix the issue before it gets too late.

When an electrical charge hits the water, solvents carry the electrical current, and if you come into contact with this current for some reason or other, it can electrocute you.

If your homestead floods and water comes into contact with the underground electrical cables, you may be risking your life and your loved ones.

Therefore, instead of waiting for the problem to cause havoc, it would be wise if you contracted an electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC, for a quick solution.

Covered Electric Cords

Electrical wires covered with clothing are a time bomb for trouble. Cords near combustible materials like curtains, flammable plastics, and carpets cause an electrical fire.

For example, a cord under a carpet may get frayed over time and eventually present an electric hazard. Additionally, heavily covered cords sandwiched together can cause overheating and spark a fire.

Wrong Wattage Light Bulbs

Bulbs with a higher wattage than the rating of the lamp holder can overheat and cause a fire. Overheating may cause permanent damage to your light fixtures.

Light bulbs in enclosed fixtures are overheated more. The light socket has a maximum wattage that individuals need to check before purchasing replacement bulbs.

An experienced electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC, can help you match precise wattage specifications anytime you need to replace a light bulb.

Overhead Power Lines

If you’re a home seller or realtor in Myrtle, Beach, SC, conducting a site survey is essential to ensure that nothing is stored under the overhead power lines.

Overhead powered electrical lines have high voltage power that can be devastating, if not irreversible, effects on your workers or tenants. Qualified electrical experts need to install safety barriers and signs to warn people of the possible electrical risks in the area.

Trusted Electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC

Don’t ever take a DIY approach to your electrical system before consulting with a professional. At Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach, we can reduce the chances of an electrical hazard to almost zero through our top-notch electrical services.

Talk to us today, and our 24/7 service team will be there on time to fix all your electrical issues, whether a faulty circuit or exposed wires, and inspect the home’s electrical system. Our electricians handle small and large-scale electrical problems, put customers first, and deliver beyond expectations.

Photo By Reimar at Shutterstock

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.