Nowadays, homeowners are doing some or most of their home improvement work on their own due to many “tricks and tips of DIY” available on the internet, especially on YouTube. However, it is always better to consult with or hire a professional electrician to do the job for you when it comes to electrical wiring and installations. Apart from that, there are also some home electrical safety measures you need to know to keep your family safe from any potential electrical hazards at home. Here are some of them:
Ensure Your Appliances Have the Right Cables and Sockets
All appliances in your home, whether big or small, should have the right type of cable and socket that can handle the amount of power it needs to function properly. Do not try to cut corners by connecting appliances to sockets that cannot support them, as this could lead to electrical fires. Wrong cables and sockets can also damage your appliances in the long run. Therefore, it is always best to check with a professional electrician beforehand. If your appliance’s cable or socket is not working properly, have it checked and replaced immediately by an emergency electrician.
Don’t Leave Power Tools and Appliances Plugged In
Unplug power tools and appliances from their sockets when you’re not using them. This is to prevent any potential electrical accidents, such as fires. If you must leave them plugged in, switch them off at the main power supply so they will not accidentally turn on. If the tool gets stuck on the socket or won’t turn off, switch off the main panel, and contact an emergency electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC, to help you out. This way, you can avoid any danger of being electrocuted. You should also avoid using an appliance or tool for a purpose other than what it is meant for, as this could damage the appliance or cause an accident. For example, using a hairdryer to dry your clothes can overheat it and cause a fire.
Investigate Flickering Lights
It can be hard to ignore that annoying light bulb flicker, especially if you’re trying to get some work done in your home, office, or bedroom. The problem is flickering lights are a bigger deal than they look. It’s not just annoying; it’s dangerous. Flickering lights can indicate an electrical wiring problem. The quick on and off of the light is often caused by a loose wire not making proper contact with the socket. This may not seem dangerous, but it can cause an electrical fire if not fixed right away. If you notice your lights flickering, call an emergency electrician to investigate and fix the problem as soon as possible.
Never Use Damaged Tools or Equipment
Do you have a damaged power tool or appliance that you’re still using? This is a big no-no! Using damaged electrical tools and equipment can be dangerous and cause serious accidents like electrocution and fires. If you have any damaged electrical items in your home, get rid of them immediately. Do not try to repair them yourself, as you might make the situation worse. The best thing to do is to throw them away or bring them to a recycling center that can properly dispose of them. If it’s something you can’t live without, call an emergency electrician to repair it for you.
Keep Off Exposed Wires
While it may seem harmless, keeping exposed wires around the house is dangerous. Exposed wires can easily be damaged, leading to live wires that can cause electrical shocks or fires. If you see any exposed wires in your home, make sure to call an emergency electrician right away to have them fixed. Keep yourself and your family safe by staying away from the area where the exposed wires are.
Be Careful with Space Heaters
Space heaters are a great way to keep warm during the colder months. But did you know they can also be a fire hazard if not used properly? Space heaters should always be placed on a level surface and kept away from flammable objects, such as curtains, bedding, clothing, and furniture. Make sure to plug them directly into a wall outlet and never use an extension cord. Always turn them off when you leave the room or go to bed. If you have any concerns about your space heater, call an emergency electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC, to check it out.
Replace or Repair Damaged Electrical Cords
Electrical cords are usually made of plastic and rubber. When worn out or damaged, they can start to conduct electricity, resulting in a shock if you touch them. To prevent electrical injuries at home, replace damaged cords with new ones or repair worn-out ones. Cords should be unplugged and stored in a safe place when not in use. You should also avoid running them under carpets or furniture as this could damage the cord and create a fire hazard. If you have damaged cords, call in an emergency electrician to have them replaced or repaired.
Keep Flammable Objects Away from Electrical Appliances
While it may seem obvious, it’s still worth mentioning that you should keep flammable objects away from electrical appliances. This includes things like paper, magazines, clothes, and curtains. These items can easily catch fire if they come in contact with an electrical appliance, such as a hair dryer or curling iron. Keep flammable objects at least three feet away from all electrical appliances to prevent fires. And if you ever see any sparks or smoke coming from an appliance, call an emergency electrician immediately.
Have an Electrical Emergency? Help Is a Call Away
Need an emergency electrician in Myrtle Beach, SC, to come to your home or business? Call us at Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach, and we’ll be there as soon as possible. Our electricians are available 24/7 to help with any electrical problems you may have. So don’t hesitate to call us.