Photo By fewerton at Shutterstock
Electricity keeps your home appliances running, and you can simply turn on the switch when you need to power your electrical devices or brighten, cool, and warm your house. Although electricity is a good source of energy, it has negative effects, including fires. In the United States, about 51,000 homes burn, causing approximately 500 deaths and over 1400 injuries. Electrical wiring in your Myrtle Beach, SC, home is among the possible causes of such fires.
As your home gets old, electrical wiring behind the walls also deteriorates and can cause bigger problems later if not repaired. Fortunately, you can avoid such issues if you know the signs of a damaged electrical wiring system. Continue reading to find out some telltale signs that will help you know it’s time to replace your old electrical wiring.
Flickering or Dimming Lights
In the event of lightning or strong winds, your lights may go on and off. However, your lights can flicker if you have an overloaded circuit because the electricity may not handle the power needs of your home. Some homeowners may try to resolve the issue by replacing light bulbs, but that may not offer a solution.
If flickering occurs more often, your wiring system may be at fault, and you need to seek electrical services immediately before the issue translates into a major problem. Old wiring is susceptible to flickering as it cannot handle the power demands of multiple electric appliances. That’s why it’s important to seek a professional electrician to upgrade when your light bulbs start flickering or become dim.
Tripping Circuit Breakers and Fuses
It’s not uncommon for a circuit breaker to go off, especially if you’re sourcing electric current from a single circuit. The design of a circuit breaker allows it to shut down the power when it is overloaded. Circuit breakers or fuses may also go off if you connect an appliance that requires high power needs, such as the HVAC system. If you experience regular tripping, it could mean a wiring problem.
Outdated wires may not handle the power demands of your home and can result in breakers or fuses tripping. If that’s the case, you should reach out to a company in Myrtle Beach, SC, offering electrical services to examine the current situation and fix your wiring or perform replacement, if necessary.
Electrical wires may rupture or fray due to heat, corrosion, or old age. Rats and mice may also chew electrical wiring, causing damage. If you notice frayed wires, even if it’s minor damage, you shouldn’t ignore them. You should request an electrical expert to insulate the frayed wires. However, if the damage is extensive, it’s vital to look for a professional electrician for repair to avoid resulting fires and electric shocks. If you have a pest problem in your home, such professionals can help you address the issue to prevent recurring damages.
Smoke and Discolored Switches and Outlets
Traces of smoke and dark spots can be a sign of a wiring problem. If you notice smoke coming from the electrical switches or outlets, you should seek electrical services as soon as possible. To avoid bigger problems, you should turn off all switches and the main power supply while waiting for an electrician. Sometimes you may also experience some heat coming from the electrical outlets.
Although it’s normal for the switch to be hot when in use, there are some instances when the heat becomes too much, and it could indicate burnt wiring. If left unresolved, fire may spread throughout your house and can result in massive damage. The wiring system becomes unsafe for you and your family, and that’s why you should contact a company offering electrical services to replace your old wiring system.
Burning or Unusual Odors
Are you experiencing unusual odors? Well, that could be a sign of an electrical problem in your home. A burning smell from the sockets or electrical outlets could mean a fire behind the outlets that can spread to your whole house if not addressed immediately. Since fire is often accompanied by smoke, it becomes easier to detect it.
Once you spot the source of the odor, you should switch off the socket and unplug any electric appliances connected to the power source. You should then seek electrical services from an electrical company near you to have the wiring system examined and fixed. It’s advisable to stay close to a fire extinguisher as you wait for an electrician to come.
The electricity system in your home shouldn’t be making any sounds when working. You may hear such sounds when you light your bulbs, in which case it can be fixed by purchasing new bulbs. However, if the noises are persistent, it means you have a damaged wiring system that’s interfering with the current’s flow.
At times, you may hear buzzing sounds coming from the sockets; this also means the wiring system could be having some issues. You may not have to wait for circuit breakers to trip to know there’s a problem with the wiring system; such sounds are a clear indication that you have an electrical problem. The best thing to do is switch off the outlets and request electrical services from a nearby electrical company.
Electric Shocks From Switches
Electrical wiring supplies current to outlets and switches to power your appliances. If the wiring system is damaged, it may become loose, hence the electric current flowing through may be unstable. As a result, it can lead to shocks when you touch the socket or when unplugging a device. If that happens, you should consider electrical services to upgrade your old wiring system immediately.
Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach: A Reputable Electrical Company in Myrtle Beach, SC
If you ever need professional electrical services, feel free to contact technicians at Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach. We offer installation, replacement, and repair of electrical equipment. Whether you want to repair your old wiring system or replace it with a new one, we’re here to help you. Our staff is available for emergency electrical services. Call us today!