Photo By DonNichols at istock
A home’s electrical system connects all electrical outlets within the building to the grid. It keeps the lights, gadgets, and air conditioning in the house working. As a homeowner in Conway, SC, a well-functioning electrical system is a priority to prevent incidents such as busted lights and gadgets or even house fires.
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), fires caused by electrical faults lead to an estimated $1.3 billion worth of property damage. Therefore, it’s very important that your electrical system gets checked by a professional electrician when you sense something may be wrong. This way, you’ll rest assured that your home is safe with properly done wiring. Read on to find out some of the signs that could help you know when to call an electrician.
In movies, flickering home lights could be a sign of supernatural beings in a haunted house. However, in real life, it would more likely be caused by loose electrical wiring. If only a single light fixture is flickering, then the problem may be the fixture itself. A replacement of the bulb might quickly solve the issue.
In a case where the flickering affects multiple lights or rooms or even the whole house, the problem may be at the breaker box or in the utility drop outside your home. In such a scenario, it will be best to contact a professional electrician to determine the problem and fix it.
A burning smell, universally, is never a good sign, mainly if it contains notes of plastic or metal. It might be a sign that the wiring system is overheating, thus causing plastic sheathing to melt.
This requires immediate action since it might worsen. It would be best to identify the source of the smell at critical points such as sockets, light fixtures, or the breaker box. And before you call the electrician, switch off the light fixture or socket, and turn off the breaker box if severe.
Light Switches and Outlets
Power outages and surges are an uncommon occurrence. Therefore, if the light switches and outlets in some rooms are not working and there is no sign of a blown fuse or circuit, they probably are no longer functioning.
This is usually caused by wires getting loose due to slamming doors. A visit by a qualified electrician is recommended in this situation.
A common sign of malfunctioning electrical systems in homes is bulbs being blown frequently. It could also manifest in bulbs being dim while the rest remain bright.
One room may have all of its light fixtures being dim compared to the rest of the house. Before calling an electrician, it might help to check that the light bulb operates on the recommended wattage for the fixture.
Worn Out Electrical Outlets
Overextended periods, outlets that are frequently used tend to get worn out. This is observed, especially when you need to “jiggle” the outlet for it to work or when a plug does not hold well in the outlet.
The outlet itself might visibly be detached from the wall. You will need to stop using the outlet and contact a professional. When left unattended, they might cause fires and injuries.
Blown-out Fuses or Circuit Breakers
Although it is a rare event for homeowners in Conway, SC, blown-out fuses are usually very irritating. Whenever this occurs, an electrical professional will need to be called to replace the circuit and do repairs on any other affected part of the system.
It is good to note that overloaded circuits usually lead to frequently blown fuses. And remember to always use the recommended type of fuse for your specific fuse box model.
Warm or Hot Outlets
Electrical appliances usually get hot, but the outlets they operate from are not supposed to. It would be best to stop using an outlet once you notice this and contact an electrician to repair or replace it. If this involves a dimmer switch, which tends to be warmer than usual, it should be warm and not too hot to be touched.
If you notice frequent blue sparks when you turn on a switch or an outlet, it would be wise to have an electrical professional check it out since it might pose a fire hazard. The sparks usually indicate overheated wiring.
Rodents droppings near electrical wiring are a sign that rats may be around. Check for chewed-out wiring since exposed wires may overheat or produce sparks. If found, a replacement of the affected cables should be done by a qualified electrical professional.
The electrical system in your house should have proper grounding. Failure to do this will have you experiencing shocks when you touch metal objects, water lines, or electrical fixtures connected to the grounding system.
It can be pretty uncomfortable getting shocked, especially as you take a shower. If you experience shocks contact an electrician who will do the required grounding.
Fake Underwriters Laboratory Stickers
Underwriters Laboratory is an institution tasked with making sure that products meet minimum safety requirements. Electrical appliances that carry UL stickers passed the inspection and are safe to use.
However, some manufacturers use counterfeit stickers to get around inspection. When buying cheap electrical appliances, check the UL sticker for misspelled words that are a sign that they are fake.
Unappealing Disorganised Wiring
Haphazardly laid wires indicate that the work was rushed; therefore, it is highly probable that it was poorly done. If there are too many tangled wires and messy junction boxes, it will be wise to contact a professional electrician to check if there may be hidden violations for codes governing homes.
Find Out More!
You can count on Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach for electrical repair services as well as wiring and installation of circuit breakers, electrical panels, and smoke detectors. We are your local electrical repair, installation, and maintenance company serving the Conway, SC, area and beyond. Call us today for all your electrical needs.