When to Call an Electrician | Myrtle Beach, SC

When to Call an Electrician | Myrtle Beach, SC

Photo By Linda Shannon at istock

When your lights and appliances are working correctly, you probably don’t think too much about the electrical system in your home. If you start to experience issues with the electrical system, it is essential that you call a licensed electrician right away. Each year, there are over 50,000 house fires in the United States, and many of them are caused by electrical malfunctions that were ignored. To ensure the safety of your home and your family, you must be able to recognize the signs that there is something wrong with your electrical systems. If you are experiencing any of the issues listed below, you should call a professional immediately. Electrical repairs should never be a DIY job. It can take just one minor mistake to cause a house fire or electrocution. You should only leave your electrical repairs to a licensed professional.

#1 The Circuit Breaker Trips Frequently

The circuit breaker in your home is the heart of your home’s electrical system. If a circuit trips, it means that there are too many things plugged into the circuit, and it is becoming overloaded. If this happens, simply unplug a few appliances, and the circuits should stop tripping. If unplugging an appliance or two doesn’t resolve the issue, you will need to call a licensed professional. The problem could be the circuit box itself, and if it isn’t repaired immediately, it can result in an electrical fire. Because this type of repair is very complicated, you should never attempt to make the repairs yourself.

#2 Dimming Lights

If your lights are continually dimming when you turn on other appliances, you should call a licensed electrician. When the lights dim, it is a sign that your circuits could be overloaded. You could try unplugging a few appliances, but this is only a temporary fix. If the circuits are being overloaded, you might need a professional to replace your circuit box, so that it can handle more power. Ignoring the problem could result in an overloaded circuit breaker, which can cause a damaging electrical fire.

If your circuit breaker is up to date and can handle the amount of energy that your home requires, the issue could be with the wiring. Over time, the wiring in your home can wear out. A pest living in the walls can also be responsible for the wiring issues. If it is a wiring issue, you should call a professional immediately.

#3 Burned or Discolored Outlets

If the outlets or switch plates in your home are burned or discolored, the first thing you should do is unplug any appliances that are plugged into the affected outlet. Next, pick up the phone and call a licensed electrician immediately. This is a sign that there is a serious wiring issue occurring inside the wall. If the wiring is faulty, you might also notice a burning smell coming from the outlet. In either case, you need to call a professional right away. This issue is considered an emergency, and you shouldn’t wait to make the call.

#4 Buzzing and Humming Coming From the Circuit Box

You should never hear any sounds coming from your circuit box. If you hear a buzzing or humming sound, you should call an electrician immediately. Your circuit box is more than the heart and brain of your electrical system; it also protects the system from electrical surges. These surges can damage or destroy appliances that are plugged in, and they can also cause an electrical fire. As soon as you notice any strange sounds coming from your circuit box, you should call a licensed professional.

#5 Sparks When You Plug In Appliances

If you plug an appliance in your Myrtle Beach, SC home, it is not uncommon to see a small spark. However, there are other types of sparks that are cause for great concern and would require the help of a licensed plumber immediately. If you notice that the sparks are more significant than usual or if they leap out of the plug, you should call a licensed professional right away. The same is true if the sparks last longer than usual before fizzling out. Finally, a safe spark is blue. If the sparks are yellow or white, you should call an electrician right away. These dangerous sparks could be occurring due to an overload. They could also be the result of faulty wiring. Allowing the problem to persist can result in electrocution or an electrical fire; therefore, you should not hesitate to make the call.

#6 A Rusted or Corroded Breaker Box

Everyone knows that water and electricity don’t mix. If you notice that there is rust or corrosion around your breaker box, you should call a licensed electrician immediately. These are signs that there is moisture getting near the breaker box, which is a very serious issue. This is an emergency situation, and you should not wait to call a licensed electrician.

#7 You Are Relying On Extension Cords

If you don’t have enough outlets in your Myrtle Beach, SC home, and are relying on extension cords, you should call a licensed electrician. Extension cords are designed to be short-term electrical solutions, but should not be used long term. Long-term use of extension cords can cause the outlet to overheat or cause an electrical fire. Instead of taking the risk, you should call an electrician to install more outlets in your home, so you won’t need to rely on extension cords.

If you are experiencing any issues in your Myrtle Beach home, contact Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach. Our team of licensed and insured professionals has the knowledge and experience to repair any problem that you are having in your home. We understand that electrical emergencies can occur at any time of the day or night, so we offer emergency service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To schedule an appointment, give us a call today.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.