Whether it is a residential or commercial building, the electricity in the building is like the lifeblood of the place. Nothing can be done without it. This is why when you’re experiencing any electrical problems; it is a good idea to call for emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC.
Now, most people tend to have a very vague idea about what an electrical emergency is and the emergency services that come with it. For this reason, we have taken them to answer some frequently asked questions about emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC.
1. What is an Electrical Emergency?
Any electrical incident which needs to be immediately corrected can be classified as an emergency. The severity of the situation can also help you decide if it is an emergency or not. For example: If you are only experiencing flickering lights, it might not need immediate attention. On the other hand, if you have a power outage and everything comes to a standstill, it is an emergency.
Also, watch for any sign of sparks or smokes coming from the circuitry. In such cases, you need to get emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC. Sparks and smokes can not only cause a short circuit but also cause an electrical fire which can be very dangerous. Even when it happens at home, you shouldn’t ignore it.
2. Help! I am Experiencing an Emergency! What Do I Do?
If you are experiencing an emergency, the first thing you need to do is get out of the immediate area. Next, place a call for emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC. The good part here is that emergency services are offered on a 24/7 basis so you won’t have any problems with getting help. Now after you call the experts, you should follow this little checklist:
- Contain The Area– Make sure that there are no pets or little children around. Close off the room so that no one goes there to reduce the risk of getting electrocuted or other injuries.
- Reduce Reactions– Remove any reactive materials from the area. This means materials such as paper or water. Water is a good conductor of electric currents and can end up making the current travel further. Paper and rugs or carpets can catch sparks and might get set on fire.
- Make Sure That The Main Switch Is Off– This ensures that there are no live wires around which could increase any chances of getting injuries. It also allows you to get a closer look at the wiring.
- Avoid Investigating it Yourself– Do not try to fix the electric circuit, switch, plug or more on your own. If you must, take a few pictures, being careful not to touch anything. The pictures will come in handy for when you want to file for insurance if you qualify for it.
After you have done all these things, just sit back and wait for the professionals to show up. An added bonus for emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC is that they are meant for swift responses. You won’t have to wait for long before help arrives.
3. Can’t I just DIY it?
The trend of doing it yourself – DIY is great for many homeowners but when it comes to emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC, it is a good idea to let the professionals handle it. They come equipped with the necessary gear, the right tools and understand how to work out a solution as quickly as possible.
DIY-ing can give you a fix but it is nothing short of a quick fix. Making a wrong move can also result in serious injury. Many people end up accidentally electrocuting themselves in this manner. Depending on the power and wattage, a jolt of electricity can easily stop a heart within seconds. Given the high risk, it is better to get emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC.
4. Can My Appliances Contribute to Causing an Electrical Emergency?
While modern appliances are designed to be eco-friendly, energy efficient and avoid causing voltage fluctuations, the same can’t be said if you are using dated appliances. From the printer to the toaster oven, these older models are not very energy efficient. They also work at a heavier or higher voltage which could put a strain on the electrical needs of your commercial or residential buildings.
In many cases, old wiring combined with old appliances can lead to a short circuit or even an electrical fire. This means that you will have to make use of emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC. To avoid having your appliances trigger the circuit box, make sure you are using the ones designed for the wattage you experience. Additionally, avoid overloading the circuit box. If there is an excess strain, it can also cause a complete or partial blackout.
5. Can I Prevent an Emergency Situation in the Future?
Prevention is better than the cure and after dealing with the chaos of an emergency situation, it is natural to want to prevent it. The following are a few helpful tips for the future that will make it likely that you won’t need emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Get Regular Maintenance Work – It’s a good idea to get the electrical unit serviced, maintained and checked from time to time. This ensures that you are aware of the general condition of the wiring. Additionally, if there are any issues, they are identified quickly before it turns into an emergency.
- Always Keep an Eye on Appliance Health – While they usually have a long life, your appliances do become old and worn out over the years. Always keep an eye on their efficiency. Malfunctioning appliances put a bigger strain on your electrical consumption.
- Adopt Green Options – It’s a good idea to invest in proper insulation so as to cut down on your electrical consumption. Other green alternatives can also be applied to your commercial or residential buildings.
All the tips mentioned above can help improve the electrical health of your home. This also means that you won’t have to make use of emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC.
Get In Touch with Mr. Sparky!
If you’re ever in need of emergency electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC, get in touch with Mr. Sparky. With emergency services and regular maintenance options too, they can keep your electrical problems at bay.