7 Warning Signs That You Need Electrical Wiring Repair In Your Myrtle Beach, SC Home

7 Warning Signs That You Need Electrical Wiring Repair In Your Myrtle Beach, SC Home

Most people in Myrtle Beach, SC don’t bother to think about what’s behind their walls. Yet every time you flip a fan switch or use your iron, you are drawing on your home’s electrical wiring and that can cause major problems if your wiring is damaged or old.

When it’s working fine, there is no risk. But when the wiring starts to turn bad, the problems can go unseen to an unfamiliar eye. To normal homeowner, good wiring often appears the same as damaged wiring and this causes major accidents as no action is taken to repair the damaged wires.

United States Fire Administration reports that faulty wirings cause an estimated 53,600 fires every year. These fires cause loss of around 1.4 billion dollars in property damage and more than 500 casualties each year.

As a homeowner in Myrtle Beach, SC, it is your responsibility to make sure that your electrical wiring is not too old or damaged. Many home electrical wires can be prevented if you’re able to recognize some common warning signs.

Here are 7 warning signs that indicate that you need to repair the electrical wiring in your Myrtle Beach, SC home. If you notice any of these signs call electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC right away to get the wiring examined and repaired.

1.     Frayed Wires

The electrical wires in your Myrtle Beach, SC home can fray from corrosion, heat or bending. They can also be damaged from screws or nails which pinch or pierce through them. Even though homeowners don’t want to hear this, but mice or rats love to chew on the electrical wires.

If you see any signs of mice activity in your home, check all the wires in the space to ensure that there is no apparent damage. Damaged wires, caused by whatever reason, are dangerous and if you spot any damaged wire, have your wiring carefully examined and replaced by professional electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC.

2.     Shocking Switches

Shocking switches is a good sign that the switch is bad or wiring is damaged. Sometimes, shocking switches result from a wire in the circuit that shorts out to the conduit where wires are enclosed. This is not only physically unpleasant, but it is a clear sign that something is short circuiting. It could be a device that is plugged into the switch, the switch itself or a wire with damaged insulation.

If the problem still persists after the devices are removed, then it means that the wiring of the switch is damaged. In that case, you must call electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC to have the wiring and switch examined and repaired.

3.     Breakers and Fuses Tripping  

Circuit breakers protect the house from electricity dangers by tripping if the circuit exceeds its maximum ampere rating.  Fuses provide the same protection but they blow out and need replacement when the ampere limit exceeds.

If a circuit breaker or fuse in your Myrtle Beach home goes out regularly, then there could be two possible reasons for it. Either you plugged in too many high ampere appliances in a single circuit which increased the total ampere rating of the circuit breaker. Or if this is not the case, then there may be short circuit in the wiring of the circuit.

If the circuit breaker or fuse is going out regularly, then this is a sure tell sign that your wiring is damaged. Certified electrician services in Myrtle Beach, SC should be contacted to have the circuit examined and wiring replaced as soon as possible.

4.     Smoke

Smoke from a switch, an appliance or electrical board is a definitive sign of trouble. On first sight of the smoke, turn off and unplug all the devices and check any signs of obvious problems. Do not touch any wires and turn off your home’s main electrical power. Contact electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC at once to have the wiring checked.

5.     Discolored Switches or Outlets

Discolored switches or outlets are a serious sign to look for in damaged wiring. The switch or outlet may be replaced, but the problem is not always with the switch or outlet.

Mostly faulty wiring in the circuit or a loose connection is the cause which can result in short circuit. This causes the switch to arc and make a mini fire that causes the surface of the switch to discolor from the heat. When you spot a discolored switch call the electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC to assess your wiring and repair it, if needed.

6.     Dimming Lights

Diming lights in your Myrtle Beach, SC home point to an overload in circuit or the wiring. If the lights in your home dim when you turn on a motor or microwave, then you should take note of the problem as the wiring or circuit may need to be repaired or replaced. Call the electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC immediately when you notice dimming lights to save yourself from potential damage.

7.     Burning Smell

A burning smell in your Myrtle Beach, SC home can definitely be scary. When electrical fire initiates it gives an acrid smell similar to short circuit that causes mini burns. However, electrical fires that catch surrounding matter on fire, have a different smell.

If a burning smell is present in your home, immediately call electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC and keep a fire extinguisher prepared until they send an electrician to examine the problem. In few cases, the fault may be in the switch, but if it is in the internal wiring, then your house may be in danger of catching fire.

Turn off the circuit breaker until electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC can examine the circuit.

Have you spotted any of these signs in your home and need to avail professional electrical services in Myrtle Beach, SC to have your wiring examined? Contact Mister Sparky Myrtle Beach as they have a team of certified and professional electricians who can examine your wiring and make the needed repairs.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.