Five Reasons You Need An Emergency Electrician | Conway, SC
Photo By Yu Sun at istock
A study done by ESFI shows that an estimated 51,000 home fires resulting from electrical mishaps occur every year, causing approximately 500 deaths, 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage. Electricity is a necessity in our daily lives since you can use it in so many ways. From lighting the house, cooking, and refrigeration to operating appliances, it is evident that power makes life easier and much more convenient. So having an emergency electrician in your back pocket is very important.
Oftentimes, electricity functions perfectly and flawlessly. However, it is dangerous, and a malfunction or breakdown could potentially disrupt the safety of your home. Below are a few things that you should always look out for, and when they happen, contact an emergency electrician as soon as possible.
Any homeowner has probably experienced sparks when plugging in a socket at some point in time. In fact, it happens almost every day. Surprisingly, a spark occurs every time you plug in a socket, only that you do not see it. When a device is plugged in, electricity transfers from the outlet to the appliance, interrupting the flow of the electric current as it moves along the circuits and back to the main grid. In this case, the sparks are normal. A sparking electrical outlet can indicate many things, but in most cases, it means something is not okay with the outlet. It could be due to aged equipment, a short circuit, or water exposure.
But how do you know something is wrong? An outlet spark that leaves the smell of burning plastic is a red flag that should make you consider hiring an emergency electrician. Also, you should get concerned if you notice white or yellow sparks as the normal ones are usually blue. As you wait for your technician to come, it is advisable to shut the outlet off at the circuit breaker panel.
Dead or loose outlets
Dead electrical outlets are a common problem in most homes and can result from multiple complications, including faulty receptacles, blown fuses, or tripped circuit breakers. Poor installation of the outlet can also lead to a dead outlet. Loose connections are more common in houses with old wiring. Some common signs of a loose or dead outlet are discolorations on the outlets, sparks, and burning smells. Unsteady outlets can disrupt the normal flow of electricity, potentially causing a fire hazard or arcing and causing a great need for an emergency electrician.
Most outlets last between 15 to 25 years, but in some cases, they could malfunction before then. It is therefore advisable to replace them now and then to avoid future calamities. Another safety tip is to turn off the power whenever you suspect you could have a dead or loose outlet. Above all, contact your local Conway, SC, emergency electrician to troubleshoot problems and fix them.
Frequent burning out of bulbs
Are you wondering why you keep on changing bulbs in your home? It could be something small, or maybe you are using the wrong type of bulb. Bulbs are not built to last forever. Over time, light fixtures can wear out, resulting in complex wiring problems. A bulb can burn out for so many reasons. An improperly or loosely connected bulb will burn out quickly due to the intermittent voltage. The power supply voltage could also be too high, causing the bulb to light brighter and die faster.
Homeowners ought to safely check the outlet’s voltage using a multimeter, and if it reads something higher than 120 volts, you should immediately contact your emergency electrician. A burned-out bulb is not only inconvenient but also a safety hazard that requires immediate action. If you keep on buying new bulbs despite efforts to solve the issue, it is time to seek professional help.
Tripping circuit breaker
A circuit breaker is a switching device used to control and protect the electric power system and the device connected to it. It can operate manually or automatically. When excess electricity flows through it, the circuit breaker tends to trip. One cause of a tripping circuit breaker is a circuit overload. That occurs when a given circuit provides more electricity than its capacity, commonly referred to as overworking. Another dangerous culprit is a short circuit, which happens when a neutral wire meets a hot wire due to a loose connection or bad wiring.
Some practical measures that you can utilize to curb the situation include turning off some devices to reduce the electrical load and redistributing devices to different parts of the house. However, if it is a ground surge that has caused the circuit to break, do not ignore or try to fix it on your own as it could lead to a fire outbreak. A common sign of aground surge is discoloration around the outlet. At this point, call your emergency electrician to handle the situation.
An electric shock is the last thing anyone can wish to encounter in life. It might leave no marks, but in severe circumstances, can be fatal, causing burn injuries, cardiac arrest, and even internal damages. A human body conducts electricity. So, when you touch a metallic object in your home, the positive electrons quickly move from you to the material, causing a tiny shock. An electric shock can result from faulty wiring, malfunctioning appliances, downed power lines, and even flooding and lightning.
Some of the safety measures to observe when you experience an electric shock include immediately letting go of the electric source and calling an emergency electrician for help. To prevent an electric shock, always ensure your hands are dry when handling plugs and avoid touching an exposed wire at all times. Also, it is advisable to have a licensed electrician inspect and fix underlying problems regularly.
Contact the experts
If you are in Conway, SC, and are experiencing any of the above problems, give Mister Sparky of Myrtle Beach a call. We offer prompt electrical services, handling everything from device installation and repair to maintenance. Our emergency electricians are available 24/7 and are well-trained to work on multiple forms of electrical disasters. Call us today for your electrical needs.