10 Signs That You Need To Call A Licensed Electrician | Myrtle Beach, SC
Photo By mattjeacock at istock
The electrical system in your Myrtle Beach, SC home is very complex. If there is one minor issue, it can affect the way your lights, appliances, and devices perform. Many people today are making home repairs DIY projects in hopes of saving money. There are plenty of instructional videos online to teach you to make home repairs. Even though there are videos online to teach you to perform electrical repairs, it doesn’t mean that you should. One small mistake can result in an electrical fire that can damage or destroy your home, or you can be electrocuted.
If you are experiencing any of the following issues in your home, you should hire a licensed electrician.
#1 Your Circuits Are Tripping Frequently
If you are tripping circuits frequently, you should call a licensed plumber. There could be a short in the breaker box, resulting in an electrical fire if left ignored. The issue could also be that your circuit breaker is overloaded because it cannot handle your electricity demand.
A licensed electrician will inspect the breaker box to figure out why your circuits are tripping, so they can make the necessary repairs.
#2 Flickering Lights
If the lights in your home flicker often, you should call a licensed plumber right away. This is a sign that there is an issue with your electrical system. If you ignore the issue, it could result in an electrical fire that can quickly destroy your entire home and put your family at great risk.
#3 A Hot Switch Plate
If any of the switch plates in your Myrtle Beach, SC home are hot to the touch, you should call a licensed plumber immediately. There could be a short in the wire behind the switch plate, resulting in an electrical fire. This issue would require the help of a licensed electrician. The repair will take more than replacing the switch plate. The electrical professional will need to find the wire with the short and make the necessary repair. It is best to call an electrical service immediately to keep your home and family safe.
#4 You Are Getting Shocked When Your Touch a Light Switch Or Outlet
If you rub your feet across the carpet, it is not uncommon to get a shock when you touch a light switch or outlet. It is caused by static electricity, which is harmless. If you get a shock every time you touch a light switch or outlet in your home, you should call a licensed electrical service. You are likely getting shocked because of faulty wiring, which is a major fire hazard.
#5 There Is Moisture Or Rust Around An Outlet
If there is moisture around an outlet or it is rusty, the outlet is being exposed to water. Everyone knows that water and electricity don’t mix; therefore, you should call a licensed electrical service immediately.
An electrician will inspect the area around the outlet to figure out where the water is coming from. They will also inspect the wiring and make any repairs necessary. This is a serious issue and should not be ignored.
#6 Buzzing Sound Behind the Walls
If you hear a buzzing sound coming from behind the wall, it probably isn’t a bee infection. The sound could be coming from your electrical system, and you have a wiring issue. This is a serious problem that can result in an electrical fire if you let it go.
It is best to call an electrician as soon as you hear the sound. They will inspect your electrical system to find the wiring causing the problem and then fix the wiring issue.
#7 You Have a Light Switch That Does Nothing
If there is a light switch in your Myrtle Beach, SC home that does nothing when you flip the switch, it is a good idea to call a licensed plumber. They will inspect the switch and the wiring around it to figure out what is causing the problem. When your house was built, the contractor may not have included any wiring at all, and you have nothing to worry about. However, if the previous owner tried to perform a DIY repair and made a mistake, which can be a serious problem. To be on the safe side, you should schedule an appointment with an electrical service.
#8 Sparking Appliance
If you have an appliance that sparks when you use it, the issue could be with the appliance or the outlet it is plugged into. It is best to call an electrician to find out why the appliance is sparking. If it is the outlet, it can be fixed. If it is the appliance, you may need to have the appliance repaired or replaced.
#9 You Are Using Multiple Extension Cords Around Your Home
Older homes were built with just one or two outlets in each room. This would require you to use multiple extension cords to power all of your appliances and devices, which can be dangerous. Not only can extension cords create a tripping hazard, but you can also overload your electrical system, resulting in an electrical fire.
An electrician can add more outlets in each room and upgrade your breaker box if necessary.
#10 You Don’t Have Three-Prong Outlets
Many older homes were built with two-prong outlets rather than three-prong. Most modern appliances and devices today require a three-prong outlet. Many people will solve the problem by using extension cords, which is a mistake. Using too many extension cords can create a fire hazard. An electrician will be able to replace your two-prong outlets with three-prong, ensuring the safety of your home and family.
Why Choose Mister Sparky Of Myrtle Beach?
If you need an electrical repair and want to work with the best in the business, schedule an appointment with Mister Sparky Of Myrtle Beach. We have been serving customers in the area since 2010, and our owner has been working in the industry since 1995.
We have an excellent reputation in the community and the industry and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and a 5-star rating on Google. Home Advisor has named up a Top Rated, Screened and Approved, and Elite Service business. In 2017, Angie’s List awarded us the Super Service Award.
Our electricians are highly trained and highly skilled, allowing them to handle the most complicated jobs.
To schedule an appointment for electrical service, give us a call today.